Have you ever tried to establish the connection between stress and weight loss? How do your stress levels enhance weight gain or weight loss? If you did not know, there is more to weight loss than healthy eating and exercise routines.
High cortisol triggered by stress may be the reason why you are still fat! So, to reduce your stress levels and get slim, you might need to include some yoga poses for weight loss and stress relief in your daily routine.
Before a complete breakdown of the best yoga exercises for weight loss, you should first understand the link between stress and weight gain/loss. The first thing you should know is that a high-stress level is a contributory factor to weight gain and difficulty in losing weight. How?
High-stress levels lead to the excessive secretion of stress hormones called cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that plays a significant role in our bodies’ fight-or-flight response. Too much cortisol in the body leads to some adverse side effects which may not support weight loss.
High cortisol is one of the major causes of belly fat because it promotes the storage of this visceral fat in the belly.
Aside belly fat, some other symptoms of high cortisol levels may include:
- Mood swings
- Food cravings
- Brain fog
- High anxiety and depression
- Unbalanced blood sugar
- High blood pressure
- Breakdown of muscle tissue
- Belly Fat
With unbearable food cravings, poor sleeping patterns, high blood sugar, among others, it becomes much more difficult to lose weight. So, even with your low-carb weight loss diet plan, and your regular exercises, if it seems difficult to lose weight, you should try to restrategize your weight loss plan. Maybe you are not working on your stress levels, as you should.
Yoga Poses For Weight Loss and Stress Relief
Whether for weight loss or managing stress, there is a precious stone to kill the two birds at once! Yoga! With yoga, you can manage stress and lose weight at the same time.
In this post, you will find some top yoga poses for weight loss and stress relief. These asanas could be the answer to your long-anticipated slim body.
Don’t blink, keep your eyes fixed on the screen to have a revelation of easy it could be to manage stress and lose weight using YOGA.
One more thing! Don’t forget what we are trying to establish in this post. We need to have a look at the yoga poses that will help manage stress levels, reduce cortisol circulation in the blood.
1. Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
Just as the name goes, the easy yoga pose has a magical way of easing your soul of the inherent troubles and accumulated stress. This traditional yoga pose helps to begin to calm the mind, connect with your breath, and decrease stress. Practicing this pose regularly is an excellent way to control stress-induced body fat.
How to Do It
- Sit on the yoga mat with your legs crossed
- Ensure that your knees are lower than your hips
- Place your palms on your thighs facing up
- Sit upright, roll your shoulders back and down, and lengthen through the back of your neck.
- Close your eyes and breathe slowly and deeply through your nose.
- Keep this position until you have 20 breaths.
2. Seated Forward Fold (Paschimottanasana)
This is one of the effective yoga poses for weight loss and stress relief. The seated forward fold activates the body’s parasympathetic nervous system and emotions to stabilize cortisol spikes. This pose is an excellent way to give your back a good stretch and also manage stress to lose weight.
How to Do it
- Sit upright on your mat
- Stretch out your legs straight in front of you.
- Breathe in deeply and reach your arms up over your head
- Then exhale to bend at the hips and hold onto your feet with both hands. You may keep a small bend in your knees to touch your feet.
- When you have a firm grip of your feet, take a breath in to lengthen your head forward
- Keep your shoulders relax and close your eyes.
- Maintain this position for ten breaths.
3. Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
Let’s cheers to this fantastic yoga pose. It is sure on my list of yoga poses for weight loss and stress relief. The locust pose is one of the back-bending poses that activates the major muscles in your body.
Salabhasana stretches the shoulders, thighs, thorax, and navel. This pose also helps to strengthen your legs, vertebral columns, arms, and buttocks. All that aside, this asana regulates metabolism and helps you lose weight while also reducing stress and tension.
How to Do it
- Lying face down on your mat, stretch your arms back alongside your body with your palms facing down.
- Place your forehead on your mat so that your neck is straight.
- Breathe in and lift your head, chest, arms, and thighs off the ground.
- Turn your palms to face inward and squeeze your hands towards each other above your lower back.
- Hold for five to eight breaths, then release on an exhale.
4. Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
How easy would it be to stand and balance on just one leg? I will leave that for you to find out when you try the tree pose. Though simple, the tree pose asana could be quite challenging. Yes! This pose strengthens some vital parts, improves your posture, balance, and focus.
The therapy of this pose goes beyond the physical as it brings you into a calm mindset, devoid of all forms of stress. That way, you can put a check on cortisol spike and manage your weight.
How to Do it
- Stand with your feet hips-width distance apart.
- Put your palms together, hold the hand in front of your heart.
- Set your gaze on something or at a point in front of you.
- Tighten your abs and slowly shift your weight onto your left foot.
- Raise your right foot and place the sole onto your inner left calf or thigh. Do not place it directly on your knee joint.
- Press your foot and leg into one another and lengthen your spine.
- Stay in this pose for eight breaths.
- Then switch sides.
5. Child’s Pose (Balasana)
If you sincerely feel that your inability to lose weight is stress-induced, you might need to do some resting yoga poses often. The resting poses will no doubt, bring calmness to your soul and stop or regulate hormonal imbalance. The spike that hits your hunger senses to overeat will be normalized when you reduce stress.
So, that is why we are still on the best yoga poses for weight loss and stress relief. The Child’s pose is one of the leading stress-relieving poses because it calms the body, mind, and spirit.
How to Do it
- Begin in a tabletop position on your hands and knees.
- Spread your knees out wide to the edges of your mat and keep your toes in contact.
- Breathe out to sit your hips back onto your heels.
- Move your hands gradually towards the top of your mat and lower your forehead to the ground.
- Shut eyes, stay calm, and breathe slowly for at least ten breaths.
6. Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
To relieve stress and heat specific body parts accumulated with fat, this asana would do a great job. Warm-up your body and clear up your mind in the most amazing way every morning to burn some calories.
How to Do It
- Stand straight spreading your legs wide apart
- Turn right foot out and keep the left foot pointed forward. Do not bend knees.
- Lift your arms to shoulder level and place palms facing down.
- As you breathe out, turn torso from waist towards the left and bring right hand to the shin, ankle, or beside right foot.
- Then extend the left arm towards the ceiling.
- Setting your gaze on the left hand, hold the position for ten breaths before returning to the standing position and doing the same on the other side.
7. Downward Facing Dog
For a flat tummy and slimmer waist, the downward-facing dog pose is one of the yoga solutions. The position you set yourself in this pose helps to tone the core and waist
This pose is an amazing way to strengthen and tone the abdominals for a sexy flat belly after consistent practice. Let me also add that this pose, just like other inversion yoga poses, can help to reduce fatigue, stress, and clear your head. How? The inverted position allows blood flow into the head, which helps to combat depression and clam the mind.
How to Do It
- Begin by sitting on your legs with your hands and knees.
- Place your hands slightly in front of your shoulders and your knees directly below your hips
- Then, spread your fingers wide
- Curling your toes under, push your hips high in the air and straighten your arms and legs (coming into an inverted V shape).
- Stay in this position for about three minutes.
8. Corpse Pose (Savasana)
This great relaxation pose helps you to relax, surrender, and let go of cortisol-spiking stress.
How to Do It
- Lie down while facing up on your mat.
- Bring your feet mat-width distance apart and allow your toes to fall open while making sure your palms face up.
- Relax yourself and every muscle in the body. Take 20 slow breaths and stay in that pose as long as you need to relax.