Protein is a major nutrient for a healthy diet and lifestyle. Many people tend to think that protein shakes are for bodybuilding and will make them gain more weight. This is however not true because you can use protein shakes for weight loss!
Protein is the most important nutrient for weight loss. Daily protein intake can help increase metabolism and reduce appetite (1). Protein can help you lose weight and burn calories faster.
Protein shakes are a great and convenient way to add protein to your daily diet. The shakes reduce your appetite and your cravings while boosting your metabolism.
This makes you consume less without starving your body. You burn a lot of calories as more energy is spent on digestion and metabolism.
It is important in a healthy diet and lifestyle and has been scientifically proven to be a key ingredient for weight loss. Adding a cup of protein shake daily will help to lower calorie intake and this will also increase the protein intake.
Protein shakes is also loaded with nutrients that are beneficial to the skin, bones, and hair.
Protein is a healthier alternative to carbohydrates. Although, carbohydrates give an immediate energy boost, protein digests slowly before it can give the body energy. This makes it a long-lasting source of energy for the body.
The fact that it digests slowly makes it vital in burning fat.
Health Benefits of Protein
Diets rich in protein have numerous health benefits. Some of the reasons why you should consume proteins include:
- Helps your body to develop, grow and function properly.
- Aids weight loss
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Boosts your energy levels
- Increases muscle mass
- Improves your mood
- Maintains strong bones
- Builds a stronger immune system
What Are Protein Shakes?
What Are Protein Shakes? Protein shakes are an amazing way to include more protein in your diet. They are drinks made from the combination of water, protein powder and some other ingredients.
Popular examples of protein powder include:
Protein shakes are a great option for your diet when you cannot access foods rich in protein.
You can consume protein shakes for weight loss and muscle gain. They help to curb your appetite and reduce the number of calories you consume. This article will enlighten you on how to effectively drink protein shakes for weight loss.
Quick Facts About the Protein Shakes Diet
- Protein shakes diets support the use of protein shakes as a meal replacement diet.
- Anybody on the protein shake diet should consume a minimum of one protein shake every day.
- Apart from protein, there are several other nutrients found in the protein shake diet. These nutrients include minerals, vitamins, etc.
- Recent research shows that people who consume protein shakes eat less as a result of reduced food cravings. This means you can consume protein shakes for weight loss.
- A well-balanced protein shake diet should contain enough amount of protein, healthy fats, and nutrient-dense carbohydrates.
How Many Protein Shakes Should I Consume A Day to Lose Weight?
Drinking 1-2 protein shakes a day is the recommended quantity by most dietitians for weight loss. You can either take the shakes before a meal or even as meal replacements.
Consumption of excess protein shakes could lead to the following side effects:
- Intestinal problems like constipation and diarrhea.
- Excess calories from excess consumption of protein shakes can lead to weight gain.
- It could sometimes cause seizures.
- If not matched with enough daily water intake, it could lead to dehydration
8 Protein Shakes For Weight Loss and Detoxification
This protein shake recipes for weight loss can serve as your meal replacement option for breakfast. Whether after your early morning workout, or just before you leave home for work, this shakes will give you energy for the day.
They are packed with lots of proteins that keep you filled for a longer period. Below is a list of our top eight favorite protein shakes recipes for weight loss.
1. Key Lime Pie Shake
Key Lime pie has ingredients like sweetened condensed milk, butter, sugar, and heavy cream. Although the ingredients are not so good for the waistline, it tastes nice!
The shake is however different as it does not have excess sugar and has 42 grams of muscle building protein. This cream uses cottage cheese and this is what gives it the milkshake consistency. If you have allergies to dairy, feel free to add some tofu to get the same consistency.
Protein Source: Fat-free cottage cheese and protein powder
- 1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice (you can use fresh or bottled)
- 5-10 ice cubes (this should be based on how thick or thin you like your shake)
- 1 cup of water (depends on the perfect consistency for you)
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener (your choice)
- Green food coloring- you can use spinach!
- 1 tablespoon of sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
- Cottage cheese or Tofu (as mentioned earlier, this gives it the milkshake consistency)
- 1 graham cracker (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
Put everything in a blender and blend until it has a creamy consistency. Use the crushed graham cracker as a topping.
2. Almond Butter Protein Smoothie
This protein smoothie is made with four ingredients making it easy to mix and drink. Almond butter contains natural protein and the chia seeds, full of antioxidants and omega 3s that will protect the heart.
To add a dash of spice, you can add cinnamon– this will help regulate the blood sugar and deal with stubborn belly fats. Almond butter protein smoothie can be served at breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Protein Source: Almond milk, almond butter, chia seeds.
- 1 big ripe banana (peeled and frozen)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 3/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened almond butter
You can also add:
- Maca powder
- Raw cocoa powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Fruits of your choice
- Leafy green veggie of choice
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. French Toast Protein Shake
This is another of the protein shakes for weight loss with the taste of fresh French toast. It has more protein and a bit of fat and calories. The sweetener used in this shake is far sweeter than sugar, so, the suggestion is to start with two packets of Stevia adding more as the need may be.
Protein Source: Fat-free cottage cheese and protein powder
- 1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese (to make the shake creamy. You can substitute with 1 small frozen banana or 1/2 cup of greek yogurt)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A dash of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon of maple extract (you can substitute with 2 tablespoons of sugar-free maple syrup)
- 3-5 packets of Stevia (sweetener of your choice)
- 5-10 ice cubes
- 1/2 butter extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Xanthan gum (optional)
Put everything in a blender and blend until it has a creamy consistency. Top with light whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon if desired, and Enjoy!
4. Raw Chocolate Smoothie
Unadulterated cacao has two important benefits- it is filled with a high amount of fiber and it is loaded with antioxidants. Raw cacao, when paired with a considerable amount of honey, it is sweet and good for the body.
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of raw peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of almond milk- homemade or store-bought
- 1 medium banana
- Warm the raw honey to give a less thick consistency.
- Blend honey, banana, cacao, peanut butter, and almond milk until smooth.
- You can use processed ingredients for a regular smoothie.
5. Peach And Oat Breakfast Smoothie
Peach and Oat breakfast smoothie is one of the protein shakes for weight loss; owing to its ingredients- ripe banana, fiber-filled oats, Greek yogurt, frozen peaches and almond milk. This smoothie contains 6 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein, so, it will help curb the appetite.
- 1 1/2 cups of peeled and diced frozen peaches
- A cup of almond milk
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and frozen)
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 5.3oz of greek yogurt
Blend all the ingredients until smooth and serve immediately.
6. Berry Oat Smoothie
This smoothie contains a blend of berries which are rich in antioxidants and oats. It helps to curb the appetite thereby helping to reduce weight gain.
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of milk (add to your choice)
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1/4 cup of ice
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries
- 1/3 cup of greek yogurt
Add all ingredients into a sturdy blender and blend till you get a creamy consistency.
7. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Shake
This is another of the delicious protein shakes for weight loss. Made from frozen bananas and peanut butter, this smoothie is rich and fully loaded with nutrients.
It is packed with protein when you use almond milk without taking in a high amount of sugar as in other smoothies.
- 2 large overripe bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen)
- 3/4 cup of ice
- 1 cup of almond milk (as desired)
- 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
8. Raw Banana Bread Shakes
This smoothie gives a warm and soothing flavor without flour or butter. The walnuts therein are a major boost of protein, fiber, and healthy omega-3s.
To make the walnut milk, you will need:
- A cup of raw walnuts (soaked for 4 hours)
- 3 cups of filtered water
Blend the soaked walnut, add filtered water to make the blender run fast and smooth. Sieve the blend to get the milk out.
For the Banana Bread Shake:
- 3 cups of walnut milk
- 2 cups of sliced banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- A pinch of freshly grated walnut
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (this is optional).
- 2 tablespoon of cacao nibs
Combine the walnut milk, sliced bananas, vanilla powder, cinnamon, maple syrup and ice in an upright blender.
Blend the ingredients till you have a smooth consistency, add cacao nibs and run the blender few second more.
Pour the raw banana bread shake into a cup and add your desired topping. Serve cold!
If you need to lose excess body weight, protein shakes are a great option, plus daily workouts for better results. Protein shakes can be consumed at any time of the day, to ease cravings. It is a great alternative and a healthy way to satisfy your eating desires.
This protein shake recipes for weight loss are low in calories and packed with a lot of protein that can help you lose a significant amount of weight.
The protein energizes you and fills you more for a longer period. These weight loss shake recipes are simple to make. Gather the ingredients together and place them in a high-powered blender.
Then blend until the mixture becomes smooth. Now, you can go ahead and serve yourself some great homemade shake.
Kindly share your success story if it works for you to encourage others to stay healthy and fit.