Talking about weight loss, Protein is an essential nutrient needed for optimum weight loss. Hence the need for protein shake recipes! Weight loss requires a regular workout routine coupled with healthy diets, and this protein shakes is one of the diets.
These protein shakes are loaded with nutrients that will keep the skin, hair, and the whole body healthy.
The major ingredients of these protein shake recipes are fruits and monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). These monounsaturated fatty acids are nutrients that fight belly fat.
Having shakes as either breakfast, lunch, or just as a snack will help boost your metabolism while keeping cravings at bay.
Also, you burn a lot of calories as more energy is used for digesting and metabolic processes. By this, you can successfully lose weight and keep the shed weight off for good!
To help you lose weight and belly fat for a more trimmed and toned look, below is a list of 8 deliciously nutritious protein shake recipes. All you have to do is choose a recipe, pick your blender and drink your way to a sexy body!
1. Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup of milk- you can use any milk for this
- 1 cup of mixed frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons of rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of vanilla protein powder- you can also use whey instead of protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of all-natural peanut butter
- Pour the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled.
2. Almond Joy Protein Shakes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons of raw whole almonds
- 12 ounce of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- Pour the ingredients in a blender and blend until you have your desired consistency.
- If the mixture turns out thick, add more almond milk, and if it is too thin, add more ice.
3. Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of natural unsalted peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup of fat-free plain yogurt
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/4 ripe banana
- Pour all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and serve chilled.
4. Vanilla Chai
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 frozen banana- cut into small sizes
- A quarter cup of chai tea- brewed and chilled
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- Half tablespoon of unsalted natural almond butter
- Water to move the blender blades- this is optional.
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for about an hour before you serve.
5. Sunrise Smoothie For Weight Loss
- 1 cup of large ripe strawberries- chopped
- 1 cup of fresh peach- chopped
- A cup of watermelon- seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup of raspberry sorbet
- Put the sorbet, strawberries, peach, watermelon, and the orange juice in a blender.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add more orange juice to give the smoothie a thinner consistency if it is too thick.
- Put in the fridge and serve chilled.
6. Skinny High Protein Oreo Milkshake
- 250 grams of low sodium and fat-free cottage cheese
- 3 oreo cookies
- 1 cup of skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon of Truvia- you can use a tablespoon of sugar instead
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Blend the cottage cheese using a blender until creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend.
- If the mixture is too thick, you can add milk to give it a thinner consistency.
- Put in a fridge for a better taste and serve chilled!
Note: Do not use a cottage cheese that contains salt for this smoothie. If you can’t get the salt free cheese, you can substitute with skim ricotta. It has the same texture as the salt-free cottage cheese.
7. Coffee Banana Protein Smoothie For Flat Belly
This is another of the protein shakes recipes for weight loss. You can serve this for breakfast, lunch, or even after a tough workout session.
- 1 big banana
- A scoop of complete protein powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of chia seed
- One cup of plain coconut milk yogurt
- 1 cup of brewed and chilled coffee
- 1/4 tablespoon of turmeric
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- Pour the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If needed, add more liquid or ice.
8. Mexican Chocolate Protein Shake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 raw almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 5.3 ounces of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of cooked and chilled quinoa
- 1 medium frozen banana- cut into small sizes
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- Mix all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy!
Different Types Of Protein
- Casein Protein: This type of protein is rich in glutamine, which is an amino acid that helps to speed up the recovery process. It does not digest fast, and this makes it suitable for consumption before bedtime. This is to ensure that it gives the body the essential nutrients all through the night.
- Pea Protein: For those trying to cut down on animal foods or strictly on a vegan diet, this is the best protein for you. It contains a protein quality similar to the ones in egg and soy. Hence, it is a good source of arginine, an amino acid the body needs for muscle building.
- Whey Protein: This type of protein is commonly used in the production of protein powders. The body quickly absorbs it, and it is best consumed after a workout session.
- Hemp Protein: Hemp contains live enzymes, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, and many other nutrients that aid digestion and overall well being. Vegans with dairy allergies like lactose intolerance can consume it.
- Soy Protein: It contains all the essential amino acids, and it is suitable for consumption by vegetarians.
- Egg Protein: This protein is lactose and dairy-free. It offers a high level of the essential amino acid lysine, and it has an average digestion rate.
Why You Should Take Protein Shakes
As mentioned above, protein is one crucial nutrient for a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle. Protein has been proven over time to be essential as regards a successful weight loss and overall weight maintenance.
Apart from being a primary ingredient for weight loss, there are other several reasons why you should take protein shakes as a woman. Here are those reasons:
1. Protein Shakes Does Not Add To Your Waistline
Protein, when taken alongside tough exercise, makes it easy for people to gain muscle weight. And when this muscle weight gain happens, many people often think protein is the cause of the weight gain.
Although some protein shakes contain sugar and other additives to make them taste better, these additives are the cause of weight gain. This is because the additives in those protein shakes may be equivalent to what you consume when you have chocolate for lunch.
Natural protein shakes that do not contain sugar, or any artificial flavors will never make you gain extra weight. Also, it won’t add just an inch to your waistline! Given this, it is best to look out for protein shakes that are a hundred percent natural.
2. Protein Shakes Destroy Calories
Whey protein of all the other types of protein is thermogenic. This means that it burns a lot of calories in the body, and it helps to build strong and healthy muscles. This calorie burning is essential for weight loss, and this is why protein shakes necessary for every diet.
Often, when you are on a diet- water and salad, you might go overboard with the dressing. This dressing overboard packs the body with unnecessary calories, which you might not even take note of.
This is why any of the protein shake recipes that contain whey protein will help you burn off those hidden calories.
3. Protein Shakes Can Aid You Control Your Appetite
If you’re one person that likes to eat at every feeling of hunger, no matter how much food you have eaten, get a protein shake! This is because a protein shake will help lower the level of Ghrelin in your body. Ghrelin is one hormone that is responsible for the sensation of hunger.
To keep cravings and frequent hunger away, consume protein shakes that contain Cholecystokinin. Whey protein contains a healthy amount of glycomacropeptide, which stimulates the release of Cholecystokinin.
This Cholecystokinin is an intestinal hormone that is released after a meal- it gives the feeling of fullness to the body.
4. It is an easy way to add protein to your diet
Protein shakes are easy ways to add extra protein to your diet without the stress of preparing another meal. However, if you are having the recommended amount of protein per day from the foods you eat, there is no need for having protein shakes.
But if you are protein deficient, this is the way to go!
5. It aids the slimming process
Protein has in it Leucine, which is an amino acid that stimulates the oxidization of fatty acid and, in turn, burns calories.
When included in your diet and coupled with workouts, you see the result in no time, but if you are doing your the other way round- no healthy diet and no exercise, you will not get any result.
In cases where you missed your workout, make sure to add as much protein to your shake to cover up your missed workout.
With all of these protein shake recipes above, weight loss and fat burning will be easy and effortless for you. Ever tried any? Share your experience, and let’s keep the conversation going in the comments section.