If you want relief from itchy and inflamed skin, then oatmeal bath and lavender bath melts are perfect for you.
Also known as Pruritus(proo-RIE-tus), itchy skin is an uncomfortable and irritating sensation that makes you want to scratch. This skin condition can be caused or worsened by dry skin.
It’s often common in older adults, as their skin tends to become drier with age.
Oatmeal and Lavender bath melts are suitable for instant relief from irritated and inflamed skin. The major ingredients of these bath melts are oatmeal and lavender and some other additional ingredients.
Oatmeal, also known as Avena sativa, contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help to treat diverse skin conditions. Often, oatmeal is used alone or added into skin formulas to enhance its potency further.
In addition to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural sunscreen in that it protects the skin against ultraviolet rays.
Symptoms Of Itchy Skin
- Bumps, spots or blisters
- Dry, cracked skin
- Leathery or scaly skin
Causes Of Itchy Skin
Itchy skin is also a result of the following skin conditions;
- dry skin,
- insect bites,
- poison ivy,
- shingles, and many other skin conditions.
Benefits of the Bath Melts
Although there are several means of treating itchy skin, the Lavender Oatmeal Bath melts are highly effective in soothing any irritation or itching. These bath melts help to relax the skin and mind, nourish, softens the skin, and heals any itchy, dry skin.
The Lavender Oatmeal Bath melts are handmade and chemical-free. Besides, it is inexpensive and easy to make. Making your bath melts helps you save a lot while enjoying its fantastic benefits.
The healing of properties of Lavender Oatmeal Bath Melts
- Salts: This has a lot of benefits, including aid in sleeping, relief.
- Oats, Butter, and Oils: To soothe and nourish itchy and inflamed skin.
- Lavender and Rosemary: They help to fight skin problems and relax the mind.
- Baking soda: Helps to soften and alkalize the water, and this is great for our skin.
- Coconut oil and Calendula
How To Make Oatmeal And Lavender Bath Melts To Relieve Itchy Skin
To make these soothing oatmeal and lavender bath melts,
You Will Need:
- 1/2 cup of shea butter
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of oatmeal
- Mortar and pestle
- 1 tablespoon of dried lavender buds
- Small silicone ice cube mold
- 8 oz glass jar and saucepan
- Glass Storage Jar
- Melting Pot/double boiler or pan on the stove.
- Pour the oatmeal and dried lavender buds into a mortar and pound until smooth.
- Scoop shea butter into a glass jar and add the sweet almond oil.
- Now put the jar into a saucepan with little water inside and heat on low heat until the shea butter is melted.
- When it is melted, remove from heat and add the powdered lavender buds and oatmeal into it.
- Mix till well mixed and pour the mixture into the small silicon ice cube tray.
- Leave it to harden, and your bath melts are ready for use.
To Use The Bath Melts,
All you have to do is put one of the bath melts into warm running water. It will melt slowly in the water, and due to the shea and almond oil, it will have a light layer of oil over it. Have your bath, and when you are done, be sure to clean up our tub.
This is because the tub will be slippery as a result of the oil. To store, keep the remaining bath melts in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
These soothing oatmeal and lavender bath melts can also be gifted to your loved ones on special occasions.
Other Remedies for Itching
Aside from using bath melts, there are some home remedies that can help soothe itching and irritation. They include:
1. Applying menthol
Menthol is an essential oil in plants of the mint family. It has a cooling effect and also helps to relieve pain and itching.
2. Cooling the itch
Cooling helps to reduce skin inflammation that may be contributing to the itchiness or irritation. So, to cool the itch, place a cold, wet cloth on the affected area for about 5-10 minutes.
You can as well keep moisturizing creams and lotions in the refrigerator. This helps to ensure they have a direct cooling effect when a person applies them to the skin.
3. Stop scratching
This may be very difficult, however, to reduce skin inflammation, try hard not to scratch your skin. Constant scratching may tear up the skin and even prevent it from healing, which may lead to infection.
4. Apply Antihistamines
Histamines are chemicals in the body that triggers allergy symptoms, including irritation and itching. An antihistamine is a treatment for allergic reactions.
However, several antihistamine drugs will make you sleepy; therefore, they’re best used before bed.
Another common way to soothe itchy skin is by using an anti-itch cream. Ensure to get an anti-itch cream that contains at least 1 percent hydrocortisone. The drug helps to calm the itchy skin.
Besides, the cream should cream that has at least 1 percent hydrocortisone.
This drug inhibits inflammatory responses in the body and can help calm inflamed, itchy skin. Note that you stop using the cream after a short period of usage.
6. High-quality moisturizers
Use good quality moisturizers for skin inflammatory. They help the skin to feel hydrated and less dry and itchy. Some brands of high-quality moisturizers are Eucerin and Cetaphil.
When to Visit a Doctor
See your doctor or a skin disease specialist (dermatologist) if the itching:
- Persists more than two weeks and flares up despite self-care measures
- Is severe and distracts you from your day to day routines or prevents you from sleeping
- Begin to have signs of an infection, such as inflammation or weeping sores
- Affects your entire body
- It is followed by other signs and symptoms, such as extreme tiredness, weight loss, changes in bowel habits, or urinary frequency, fever, or redness of the skin.
Itchy skin is a frustrating and uncomfortable skin problem that is often accompanied by signs like weight loss, redness of the skin, weeping sores, etc. The itch can distract you from your daily routines and prevents you from sleeping.
However, Lavender Oatmeal bath melts are effective and instant relief for irritated and inflamed skin. So, if you need relief, then this bath melt is perfect for a home spa.