How to Get a Smaller Waist – Truly, it is every woman’s dream to have a body to die for. Yet, freeing up time for a 40-minute workout session is increasingly becoming a challenge. That is because there is barely any time left from our busy lives to visit the gym or workout at home.
Although beating genetics to achieve an hourglass figure with a smaller waist and firmer thighs are possible, this depends on your body shape. The answers to the question of how to achieve the “perfect” vary depending on individual body type, height, and bone structure.
It is also vital to understand that the most popular ideal body shape in people’s mind with a 36-inch breast, a 24-inch belly, and a 36-inch butt is not a reality for everyone.
Additionally, you must note that getting an hourglass picture is not as easy as genetics continually gets in the way of your progress. However, with proper dietary changes, lifestyle adjustments, and a lot of exercises, you are sure to get a smaller waist.
In this article, you will find eight best workouts that answer the question of how to get a smaller waist. Each exercise also targets the hip/waist area to give you a perfect shape.
How These Exercises Work
The workouts in this article use your body weight to work your abdominal muscles and torch calories during and after a workout. They trim and slim your waist so that you are left with a smaller waist.
Indeed, a dream body shape is 60% dependent on your diet; meaning that you need to eat less than 1200 calories daily. Still, 30% of your chances of getting an hourglass shape relies on the exercise you are doing. This involves focusing on your body by doing cardio, aerobic, and yoga moves daily.
Added to both dietary adjustment and workout is rest. This bears the remaining 10%. According to WebMD,
Sleep has been proven to improve your metabolism and boost weight loss. Getting a good 6-8 hours of sleep every day can help you beat genetics to get a smaller waist.
8 Best Workouts To Get A Smaller Waist
Most people who are looking to achieve an hourglass shape focus on abdominal moves. While getting a small waist is the goal, there are diverse muscle groups that need to be worked to achieve this.
Hence, working muscles and curves in the upper body, core, and lower body are vital.
Here, you will find the best workouts that can be added to your weekly routine. These moves work different muscle groups to give you the desired hourglass figure.
1. Russian Twist
The Russian twist is a popular exercise that helps you achieve a smaller waist. It does this by working to slim and tone the muscles around your waistline. Resulting in fat burning around your midsection.
Since the hips look fuller when you have a tiny waist, this workout helps to achieve a perfect hourglass shape.
How To Do It:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and your feet planted on the ground.
- Then, raise your feet a few inches off the ground with your body pushed back. This creates 45-degree V-shape between your thighs and torso.
- Ensure your back and spine is straight and clasp your fingers together in front of you.
- From here, rotate your upper body as far to the right as you can. Hold the position for 5 seconds before turning to the left.
- This is one rep. Do 15 more.
2. Kneeling Squat
Not only does the kneeling squat work your waist, but it also helps to sculpt a perfect butt. This move is a variation of the popular squat movement that is famous for shaping butts and making it bigger.
This move targets your hamstring, quadriceps, and gluteal muscles. It uses much force from your glute muscles, helping you get fuller hips and bigger butts in the process.
How To Do It:
- Begin in a kneeling position with your knees at a shoulder-width distance apart and your feet straight.
- Keeping your torso straight, adjust your back and spine, so they are in a straight position.
- Then, activate your glutes by sitting back towards your heels, still keeping your back, torso, and spine straight.
- With these gluteal muscles, push your body to start position.
- This is one rep; do three sets of 10 reps.
3. Lateral Arm Raises
Although simple, the lateral arm raise workout is effective at strengthening your upper arms and shoulders. You also use your core muscles while doing the move, resulting in a slimmer waist.
How To Do It:
- To make this move, you will need some moderately light dumbbells that you can lift easily.
- Stand with your feet at a shoulder-width distance apart and hold each weight in your hands beside you, bending both hands at the elbow slightly.
- Engage your core.
- Now, maintaining bent elbows, raise your arms straight at your sides, stopping when they are at shoulder height. This leaves your body in a T shape.
- Pause at the top for two seconds before slowly returning the weights to start position.
4. Donkey Lateral Kicks
The donkey lateral kick move works your core and lower body to help you achieve a well-built body. While making this move, ensure that your back remains straight, and your glute muscles do the work. This is necessary for a sculpted hourglass shape.
How To Do It:
- Get on all fours; placing your knees at a hip-width distance apart and your hands under your shoulders.
- Engage your core and raise your right leg a few inches off the floor. Keeping it bent at the knee, maintain your foot at the hip.
- Then, pushing with your glute muscles, raise your foot towards the ceiling and squeeze at the top.
- Slowly return your leg to start position to complete one rep.
- Do three sets of 20 reps on each leg.
5. Hip Raise
Next on our list of best workout for achieving an hourglass shape is the hip raise. This exercise is famous among women as it is also useful for sculpting well-shaped butt and figure.
The hip raise move also targets your lower back muscles and glutes to strengthen them. If you are looking to get curvy in all of the right places, this workout is an excellent addition to your routine.
How To Do It:
- Start by lying on your back with your knees bent, and your feet placed flat on the floor.
- Place your arms beside you, ensuring that your fingers point towards your lower body.l
- Relax your neck and push your lower back into the floor.
- Now, raise your hips as high as possible, making sure that your feet and shoulders remain on the floor.
- Keep the distance between your shoulders and knees in a straight line and squeeze your butt together.
- Stay here for 5 seconds before slowly lowering your hips to the floor.
- This is one rep. A beginner can do 12 thrusts consecutively before increasing the reps gradually.
6. Bicycle Crunch
Another popular exercise for getting a smaller waist is the bicycle crunch. It is a cardio move that works the abdominal muscles enough to feel the burns. The alternating knee raise and torso twist movement also improves heart health and boosts the rate at which the heart pumps blood.
How To Do It:
- Start by lying back on the floor or an exercise mat with your face up. Bend your knees at a 90-degree angle. Here, your legs will be parallel to the ground.
- Then, bring your fingers to your head and raise your shoulders a few inches off the floor. Hold this pose as start position.
- Now, twist your upper body to the right while pulling your right knee to your chest quick simultaneously. Stop when your right knee is close to your left elbow. While doing this, be sure to keep your left leg straight and off the ground.
- Return to start position and repeat the movement on the other side to finish one rep.
- Do three sets of 20 reps.
Bridges target your core muscles, gluteus maximus, and hamstrings. This means that the move sculpts a beautiful butt, slims your waist, and tones your hamstrings. It is perfect for achieving an hourglass shape as it works core muscles of your abdominal region and lower body.
How To Do It:
- Lay on the floor with your knees bent and feet placed on the floor at a hip-width distance apart.
- Then, raise your hips off the floor until your pelvis is at a straight line from your knees to your shoulder.
- Hold the position for 1-2 seconds at the top and then slowly bring hips to the floor.
- Do five sets of 8-12 reps.
8. Side Lunges
The side lunge move is a personal favorite! It has proven to be effective in helping me achieve my desired hip size. The movement works your hip muscles and activates your glutes, carving out a slim look for your waist.
How To Do It:
- Stand straight with your toes turned outward slightly.
- Keep your left leg firmly placed on the ground and take a full step to the right with your right foot.
- Now, engage your abs and glutes while bringing your body close to the floor so that your right leg is parallel to the floor.
- With your abs and glutes tight, push yourself back to start position.
- Do three sets of 10 reps before alternating legs.
Note: Always keep your back and upper body straight and do not bend your knees too much.
With a combination of diet, healthy lifestyle adjustments, and exercise, it is possible to beat genetics to achieve an hourglass shape. While combining all three can prove difficult, with enough motivation, hard work, and dedication, it is possible!
The best workouts in this article are perfect for sculpting smaller waist. So, do not delay adding them to your regular workout routine. If you do not have an existing habit, these moves are a great place to start.
For best results, also follow a diet plan and check out our detox drink recipes. Another way to speed up total body weight loss is to incorporate a detox drink into your morning habits. Do all of these and watch the fat melt away, leaving you with a slimmer waist and a much-desired hourglass figure.