Do you have an image of the perfect booty in mind? Are you looking for perky butts that turn heads? Then, it is vital that you do glute exercises at home that will build your gluteal muscles and lift your butt. This means doing strength training for firm butt is essential.
With these exercises, you get stronger butt as each move targets all the gluteal muscles. Gluteal muscles comprise of three different muscles, namely gluteus maximus, which is the largest, gluteus medius, and the gluteus minimus.
This article contains our selection of glute exercises at home. The best part is that these exercises not only make you beautiful; they also come with bountiful health and performance benefits.
As long as you are doing the exercises in proper form, you are sure to activate these benefits. These exercises are the most effective way to hit every muscle angle. Adding them to your weekly exercise routine will leave your butt perky in no time.
6 Best Glute Exercises At Home To Shape Your Butt
Are you looking for the best exercises to shapen your butts? Here are the six best glute exercises at home that you absolutely should try. These workout moves are great for strengthening and restructuring the glutes; helping you achieve a rounder, firmer, and stronger butt.
Undoubtedly, squats are the most popular gluteal exercise. The reason being that the move targets the gluteus maximus, which is the most significant lower body muscle.
It also targets the muscles of the hip, calves, thighs, and core. It is also a significant part of any lower body workout routine.
However, if squatting hurts your knees, try doing other alternatives.
How To Make The Move:
- Stand with your feet at a hip-width distance apart. For intensity, place resistance bands around your thighs or hold weights at shoulder level or your side.
- Press your foot into the ground and bend at the knee to lower into the ground. Keep your back straight, tuck your butt out, and your knees should remain behind your toes.
- Press into your heels to return to your standing position.
- Do two sets of 10 reps.
2. Hip Thrust
The hip thrust exercise move was invented and made famous by Bret Contreras. It is an advanced and more effective variation of the brilliant bridge exercise.
The hip thrust is more challenging in that it is done while your body is at an elevated angle, using your body weight or with the aid of weights like the dumbbell, barbell, resistance band, or chains. You can also place a weight on your waist as seen in the video below:
How To Do The Hip Thrust:
- Get into a lying position on the floor or a yoga mat with your knees bent and your back flat on the floor.
- Ensure your neck is in a relaxed position, and your lower back is firmly pressed into the floor.
- Place both arms beside you with your fingers pointing towards your lower body.
- Then, raise your hips towards the ceiling as high as you can; ensuring that your feet and shoulders are still on the floor.
- Keep your body in a straight line from your shoulder to knees and squeeze your butt cheeks while raising your hips.
- Hold the pose for 5 seconds before lowering back to the floor.
- As a beginner start with 12 thrusts and lower your body to the floor. If you are going for more challenge, do not drop your butt to the floor. Instead, get as close to the floor as possible without touching the floor and thrust your hips back up.
3. Fire Hydrant
Fire hydrants are perfect for targeting multiple muscles in the body at the same time. Precisely, they are perfect for targeting all gluteal muscles in a more specific way. You may use ankle weights for added intensity.
How To Do The Workout:
- Start by getting on your hands and knees, ensuring that your hands are directly under your shoulders and knees place under your hips.
- If you are using weights, attach the ankle weights, and keep your knees bent. Otherwise, stay in a kneeling position.
- Then, with your right knee still bent on the floor, raise your left knee still hooked to the side and lift it to a slightly higher than glutes position.
- Lower your left knee to the floor and repeat the move.
- Do 15 reps separately on both sides.
Step-ups are another perfect glute exercises at home. They focus on your butts, helping you achieve a perky butt. For the best result, choose a platform that is high enough to leave your knee at a 90-degree angle when bent. Otherwise, use a second level staircase and hold the rail for balance.
How To Make The Move:
- Stand in front of your chosen platform and place your right foot on it. If you have weights at home, you can hold them in both hands for more intensity.
- Press into your left heel to step your left toe onto the platform until your toes touch the step.
- With your right foot still on the platform, take your left foot down and bend it into a lunge for added intensity. Here, lower gently so that your toes are barely touching the floor. This way, attention is on your lower body.
- Remember to keep your body weight on the leg you are stepping with and keep pushing into your heel to step up.
- Do two sets of 15 reps on each side.
Lunges are popular among fitness enthusiasts as one of the best glute exercises at home or in a gym. This move works the gluteal muscles by forcing you to use your glutes to stabilize your body while lowering into the lunge.
It also works the glute muscles on the front of your legs to work even harder, your hamstrings, calves, and quads. The move is also popular because it has diverse varieties that you can mix up to further target specific muscles in many ways.
Do not perform this move if you have a preexisting knee injury.
How To Make The Move:
- To start, stand with your feet staggered. That is your right foot placed forward and your left behind at a 3-feet apart distance.
- Then, bend both knees and lunge down. The move will send your left knee towards the floor. Remember to not extend forward over your right knee.
- Now, press into your heel to stand to complete one rep.
- Do two sets of 10 reps before switching leg positions.
6. Single-Leg Raise
This exercise move is a perfect way to strengthen the muscles of your lower body, especially the hips and gluteal muscles. It is often recommended after a hip or knee injury because of its rehabilitation benefits. It is easy to perform and a beneficial exercise for getting the booty!
Note: This move may be challenging; however, it should not cause pain in your knee or hips. If this happens, ensure you stop immediately and visit a doctor or physiotherapist for proper care.
Also, if you are unable to keep your leg straight while making this move, it may be an indication that your quadriceps muscles are not strong enough to do so. You may have to do other quadriceps workouts to help you.
How To Make The Move:
- Sit down or lay down on your back with your legs stretched out straight in front of you.
- Then, bend your left knee to a 90-degree angle while keeping your foot pressed flat on the floor and leave your right leg stretched out.
- Engage the muscles on your stretched leg by contracting your quadriceps.
- With your quads still tight, slowly raise your right leg off the floor and extend it to the roof until both thighs are inline.
- Hold it in that position for three seconds before slowly bringing your leg back to the floor.
- Do ten reps on the leg before repeating on the other leg.
Tips for Getting A Well Shaped Booty
We have shown you the six best glute exercises at home for strengthening your gluteal muscles. Here are other tips for achieving a perky butt:
1. Eat Healthily: We recommend eating more of lean protein as protein helps in the building of lean muscles mass, which contributes to getting a perky butt. It also helps your body to burn more fat than it naturally would.
You can get healthy protein from food sources like chicken, fish, dairy products, eggs, and lean red meat. Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, broccoli, are also a viable source of vegetable protein. Also, eat good carbs instead of cutting carbs from your diet.
This gives you energy and can be sourced from whole grains, legumes, sweet potatoes, and brown rice.
2. Drink More Water: Making sure to stay hydrated boosts organ functioning which helps you burn more fat. Drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning helps to boost your metabolism.
Although how much water you drink depends on your metabolism rate and how much you exercise, men are generally advised to drink about 13 cups of water daily while women should drink 9 cups every day. An average of 8 cups for both men and women is recommended.
3. Reduce Junk Foods: To get rid of excess fat and boost your booty, you need to avoid foods that full of sugar and fat. Such foods include processed foods, salty snacks, candy and soda, and fat-filled fast foods like pizza.
There goes our selection of best glute exercises that will give you the perfect butt shape. We have also included some dieting tips so that you get as much good internalized as you get from these workouts.
Be sure to leave a comment below!