It is not an easy feat to get a six packs ab. But for most people, the goal is to get rid of muffins top and side fat to achieve their desired body. In fact, for most people, they have added “Get rid of muffin top” to their goals for the new year.
Muffin top is a way of referring to the body fat that is usually visible above the waistline. It can occur in both male and female bodies. Generally, it is caused by overeating.
However enjoyable eating more feels, to get rid of muffin top is always a major challenge. For some people, losing the muffin top and side fat is their ticket to getting their desired six-packs, while for some, it is their way of getting the perfect body shape.
At this point, it is essential to note that cardio, total body workouts, and part-specific exercises are the best ways to eliminate muffin tops. Although it is impossible to spot-reduce, it is, however, possible to sculpt a part of your body.
Therefore, to start sculpting, you have to get rid of excess fat that lies around the particular area you wish to work on. So, even while you are doing your normal body workout routine, incorporate these exercises to get rid of the muffin top and side fat for best results.
Causes Of Muffin Top and Side Fat
If you have heard it being said that muffin top is caused by the body carrying extra fat, then you should know by now that there is no lie in that statement.
The excess fat that lies around the body is often the apparent cause of muffin top, but there are also other causes. These are the different causes of muffin top:
1. Poor Diet
A significant cause of muffin top is an unhealthy diet. Consuming too many sugary foods, artificial ingredients, and foods high in sodium often leads to an increase in body fat.
Because people react differently to the same food, allergies and food sensitivity can cause cases of inadequate diet to arise.
Another factor that causes muffin tops is stress. Chronic stress can lead to the body storing up excess fat, and so you must watch your stress level. A way to do this is always to give your body a sufficient amount of rest it requires.
Change in hormones can also be of a great deal to you, gaining more fat around your middle. People who have dominant estrogen hormones tend to store up more belly fat than others.
The last but an equally important cause of muffin tops are genetics. Research shows that genetics contributes majorly to the development of body structure. It is more likely that your body will take after someone in your family.
This means that if your mother or grandmother had belly fat, you are liable to have it if you do not take care.
10 Best and Proven Exercises to Get Rid of Muffin Top & Side Fat Really Fast
1. Side Plank With Tuck
The side plank is another type of traditional plank exercise. It helps to tone and strengthen your core, helping you get rid of muffin top.
- To start, lie on a mat or the floor with your left side and your legs straight
- Raise yourself with your right forearm so that your body forms a diagonal line
- Then, lift your hips in the air, creating a straight line from your ankles to your shoulders and brace your core
- While ensuring that your torso is not moving, raise your top leg
- Then, without changing the angle of your body, bring your top knee toward your chest
- Halt in this position for about 1 to 2 seconds before returning to the starting position
- Do 10-12 repetitions on each side.
2. Rolling Plank
Rolling Plank is one of the variations of the classic plank exercise. This exercise helps to tone your complete midsection. It is also a great cardio exercise because it is a moving exercise.
- Start in a normal plank position, keeping your arms straight and abs tight. Ensure your hands are straight beneath your shoulders
- Roll to your left side into a side plank and return to the plank position
- Then, roll to your right side into a side plank and then come back into the plank again
- Keep rotating the sides until you complete ten rolls on each side.
3. Hip Dips
Hip Dips work to get rid of muffin tops efficiently. This exercise focuses on sculpting and toning your total waistline and legs. It also works your obliques into great shape.
- To start, get into a plank position and tighten your abs
- Then, drop yourself into the forearm plank by bending your elbows and coming down on your forearms
- Rollover to your left side into a forearm side plank and place your right leg over your left leg. Your right hand should also be on your hips
- Drop your hip towards the floor and lift it back up
- Do ten drops on each side.
4. Russian Twist
Russian Twist is one of the effective exercises to get rid of muffin top. It works to strengthen your abs, tone your oblique muscles, and shred muffin top. It can be done with or without weight, depending on your desired level of intensity.
- Sit on your butt with your feet pushed into the ground and knees bent
- Then, lean back a little and grab a kettlebell or dumbbell with both hands. If this is too much, join your hands
- Now, rotate the weight or your hands from side to side while twisting your torso simultaneously
- Do ten twists on each side.
5. Bicycle Crunches
This is a variation of the crunch workout that targets the rectus abdominis and the upper abs. Apart from helping to get rid of the muffin top, it is also great for removing excess belly fat.
- Begin by lying flat on the floor with your back
- Then, lift your feet with your knees bent so that your calves are in line with the floor
- Place your hands behind your head to assist your head and neck
- Bring your left knee forward toward your right elbow with your left leg stretched out
- Ensure that you do not lower your right leg to the floor
- Then, bring your right knee to the left elbow and straighten your left leg out
- Keep up with the alternating movements and do as much as you can for about 2 minutes.
6. Butt Lift
The butt lift exercise is an all-time favorite for me. This is especially when I am trying to get rid of the muffin top. It helps to tone lower abs and obliques while lifting the butts.
- With your feet flat on the ground and knees bent, lie down on your back
- Then, lift your butt until your body forms a straight line from knees to shoulders
- Lower down again
- Do it 15-20 reps.
7. Candlestick Dipper
This exercise works your oblique muscles and produces impressive results.
- Start by kneeling with your abs tight and your back straight
- Then, stretch your right leg to your side
- Ensure your knee is straight and not dropping towards the floor
- Now, raise your hand straight overhead and lock your fingers together
- Keep the first two fingers locked in a Charlie’s Angels pose
- Tilt at your waist to your left side and go down as low as you can to be parallel to the ground
- Go back to the starting position
- Do 15 dips on both sides.
8. Heat Wave
Another exercise that helps you to get rid of the muffin top. The heatwave tones your abs, butt, and everything in between.
- Lie down on your back while pressing your feet into the floor
- Raise your hips until a straight line is formed from shoulders to knees
- Then, move your hips from side to side as if you are waving
- Do 15 waves and lower your butt back to the floor.
9. Mountain Climbers
Mountain Climbers are among the most popular exercises. It works on your legs, hips, and strengthens your core.
- To begin, take a plank position with hands and toes on the floor
- Then, bring your right foot closer to your right elbow and switch to the other side by jumping
- In a continuous movement, quickly alternate the feet.
10. Jumping Lunges
Jumping Lunges are a great way to keep feet and rid your lower body of excess fats that may be lurking around. It works your waist, hips, and legs.
- To start, get in a lunge position with your right leg extended way back and left knee in a 90-degree shape
- Then, switch legs by jumping to the lunge position on the other side
- Repeat this movement ensuring that you land softly in the lunge position without your knees extend beyond the toes
- Keep your upper body straight in a good posture.
As already stated, it may be quite challenging to reduce fat on the spot. But it is not impossible. You can do it! With patience, commitment, and motivation, blasting away your side belly fat would be just an easy task to surmount.
Try these exercises (with the blend of appropriate diet and healthy lifestyle) and make the muffin top and belly fat a story in the past.