natural remedies that help to get rid of chapped lips fast, you are sure to avert dryness altogether.Are your lips dry or chapped all year? This article will help you. Also known as Cheilitis, chapped lips are a common issue that is too uncomfortable. With
The skin on the lips is thinner and more delicate than the skin on other parts of the body. The lips are also more exposed to natural elements such as the sun, dry air, and cold.
This makes them likely to dry up, crack, flake, and peel. Also, the lips do not have oil glands, which inhibits their ability to produce moisture on their own. This is where natural moisturizers come in.
As dry, peeling lips can be frustrating, we often look for remedies to moisturize it. And although mothers advice that we should stop licking our lips, it often offers no real solution to the problem. Therefore, the best way to rid your lips of dryness is by hydrating it and nourishing it to gain moisture.
This article contains natural remedies to help get rid of chapped lips using natural nourishing and moisturizing ingredients. These remedies work quickly to provide relief from flaky, dry lips, and any discomfort and pain that comes with it. They can also help to prevent chapped lips altogether.
Causes Of Chapped Lips
Apart from dehydration, other factors cause the lips to become chapped. These include:
- Excessive licking of lips (Mothers are right!)
- The presence of skin irritants in toothpaste
- The presence of drying ingredients like menthol, camphor, and phenol in lip products
- Smoking and drinking
- Sun damage caused by lengthy exposure to the UV rays of the sun
- Some medications, like chemotherapy drugs, antihistamines, diuretics, and retinoids.
8 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips Fast At Home
Perhaps the most popular solution that is go-to for many people is to use a chapstick or lip balm to get rid of chapped lips. However, while this may give instant relief, it doesn’t always provide a long-lasting solution.
With these remedies, you will be rid of chapped lips and get lasting results. Hence, preventing a recurrence altogether.
1. Drink More Water
A significant cause of chapped lips is dehydration. This means that the body, including the lips, does not have enough water supply to keep it functioning correctly.
Water is a vital part of any beauty regimen as it helps to keep the skin hydrated. Whatever remedy or chapstick you use cannot give good results unless you keep your skin hydrated by drinking enough water.
Even if you get rid of chapped lips at a time, it’ll keep coming back without proper hydration. Hence, you need to drink enough water during the day.
Since many people do not notice when they are dehydrated, we recommend making a habit of drinking water. This is to avoid the body pulling water from areas it shouldn’t be to keep up with hydration. Depending on several factors, the recommended daily water intake ranges.
2. Use Cucumber
Cucumber is a powerbomb vegetable that can be a great companion during summer. It is excellent for treating dry lips as it has a potent hydrating agent for the skin. For this remedy, all you need is a slice of cucumber to get rid of the flakiness in a few days.
- Gently rub the cucumber slice on your lips for about 2 minutes.
- Then, leave the juice to stay for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- Apply the cucumber juice on your lips once or twice a day.
Alternatively, mash 1-2 cucumber slices and apply it as a mask on your lips. Leave to stay for 10 minutes before washing off.
3. Green Tea Bag
It contains antioxidants and tannins that heal the dry and dehydrated skin on your lips. It also relieves the burning sensation that can occur as a result of the dryness.
For this remedy, you will need a bag of green tea and a cup of water.
- Place the bag of green tea in hot water and allow them to stay for a few minutes.
- Then, place the bag on the lips and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Do this once daily.
4. Use Oils
Also, they contain healthy fatty acids that leave much-needed oil on the lips, making them soft and supple.
On their own, essential oils have healing properties that heal cracked lips rapidly. They also ward off infections, which is needed if the dryness leaves your lips cracked.
What You Need:
- Any Carrier oil you prefer. This includes virgin coconut or olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, or almond oil.
- 1-2 drops of tea tree or neem or grapeseed essential oils.
- Mix 1-2 drops of the essential oil you choose in a carrier oil to make a blend.
- Then, apply the blend to your lips and leave it on.
- Reapply it three times daily. It is best applied overnight.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a potent way to get rid of chapped lips. In this recipe, you’ll use lemon and honey. This is great because lemon is a natural exfoliant and bleach while honey moisturizes and nourishes the lips; protecting it from the adverse effects of free radicals.
The recipe also uses castor oil, a carrier oil that also moisturizes the lips.
What You Need:
- Combine all ingredients and mi to create a mask.
- Apply the mask on your lips and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Then, rinse off with water.
- Do this procedure daily for about 8-10 days.
6. Sugar Scrub
When you use a scrub on your lips, you are exfoliating it to get rid of the dry and flaky layer covering it. This leaves your lips soft and supple. It also improves circulation, causing their natural color to be revealed.
Using a sugar scrub is great as sugar is readily available and useful for exfoliating.
What You Need:
- One teaspoon of brown or white sugar
- A half teaspoon of honey
- A few drops of olive oil for moisturizing
- Mix the sugar, honey and olive oil while ensuring that the sugar doesn’t dissolve.
- Now, apply the mix onto your lips and gently scrub on the lips in a circular motion.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Initially, this scrub should be used on alternate days before going on to use it once or twice weekly to achieve smooth and soft lips.
7. Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is an excellent ingredient for treating chapped lips. It contains natural ingredients that heal chapped skin. It also removes the dead layer of skin cells on the lips.
The gel strengthens the thin protective layer of skin on the lips and also has a cooling effect on it. You’ll need an aloe leaf for this remedy.
- Cut the leaf on the side and scoop the gel into a container; preferably one that has an airtight lid.
- Then, spread the gel on your lips and allow to stay overnight.
- Apply the gel regularly on your lips before bed until the desired result is achieved.
- Store the gel in an airtight container. Place it in the fridge if you live in a hot temperature climate.
8. Rose Petals
Since rose petals are packed full of skin-nourishing properties, they are a potent natural remedy for treating chapped lips.
It also contains Vitamin E and helps to maintain the lip’s natural color. Adding milk to the mix is perfect as milk contains lactic acid that exfoliates the dead skin on the surface of the lips gently. It also contains vitamins, minerals, and essential fats that keep dry lips nourished and hydrated.
What You Need:
- 5-6 petals of a rose
- 1/4 cup of raw milk
- Allow rose petals to soak in milk for about two or three hours.
- Then, mash the petals into the milk gently to achieve a paste consistency.
- Apply the paste on your lips and allow to stay on for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, rinse off with cold water.
- Do this every day for a week.
With the above stated natural remedy to get rid of chapped lips fast at home, you have no excuse for having dry, flaky lips. These remedies help to remove the dead, flaky upper skin layer from your lips and leave the soft skin below it.
You maintain hydration and nourishment, we have added nourishing agents to each remedy’s recipe. This will leave your flaky lips looking soft, smooth, and in no time.
Also, when choosing a lip product, be careful to avoid those with lip drying ingredients. You might also have to quit smoking and drinking while eating healthy to prevent chapped lips.
If you suffer from chronically chapped lips, it is best to visit a health care practitioner as there might be an underlying condition or drug responsible for it. Also, visit a medical practitioner if you have tried multiple remedies without success.
Use any of these remedies, and you’ll be flaunting your sexily soft lips! If you know any other solution that worked for you but is not in this article, share them in the comment section below.