Did you know you could use fruits for acne? The facial skin is usually exposed to harsh weather and other irritants. And because the facial skin is a soft and delicate one, it tends to react to those irritants and dirt, hence, the breakouts.
Having acne breakouts on the face and seeing pigmented patches is one major face-deformer.
Also, acne breakouts can be as a result of the chemical-laden products we use on the face. The face is less immune to those chemicals why use them? There are better other ways through which you can get your face free from acne spots and keep it flawless and glowy.
This post features 20 fruits, which you can use to keep your face acne-free, spotless, and glowing. But before you start using these fruits, you need to have a reality check.
Decide on what poor lifestyle choices you have made, which contributed to your acne breakouts, stay away from dust, harmful chemicals, and pollutants. When all of that is done, you can begin to use these wonder-working fruits to give your face that radiance it lacks.
To get the most out of these fruits for acne (if used as a mask), use them every two days, and you will get visible results in two weeks.
Orange is the first on my list of fruits for acne. This fruit is essential as regards having beautiful and glowy skin. Just like its sisters (lemon and lime), oranges are rich in vitamin C which is an antioxidant and anti-inflammation.
Antioxidants work by preventing DNA damage, oxidative damage, photo-damage, and helps collagen synthesis.
To use oranges for Acne-Free, Even-Toned, Spotless And Glowing Skin,
- Eat at least two oranges every two days or
- You can drink freshly made pulpy orange juice.
However, you should leave the pulp out if you have stomach ulcers or IBD/IBS.
Also, you can add oranges to whichever food you want to eat- stews, smoothies, cakes, and even chocolates! You can apply orange juice topically on spots where you have hyperpigmentation and rinse off after 10 minutes.
For the treatment of oily skin,
- Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, three tablespoons of orange juice, two tablespoons of gram flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Rub this mixture on your face and rinse off after about 10-15 minutes.
For the treatment of dry skin,
- Mix 1 teaspoon of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, three tablespoons of orange juice, one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice together.
- Apply the paste on your face, then rinse off after 10 minutes.
Watermelon is an extremely watery, juicy, and delicious fruit. It is well known fresh fruit of summer and also called a thirst quencher. Lycopene is the main content of this fruit, which helps to dissolve certain fats into the blood for better absorption.
Watermelon consists of 92% water and 8% sugar.
- Daily intake of watermelon fights against skin damage through the sun and reduces its chances by 40%.
- It is enriched with antioxidant that works against UV-induced free radicals which are responsible for sunburn and freckles.
- Risks of cancer also get reduced with the inclusion of watermelons in the diet as it contains a high amount of lycopene.
- Watermelons being a good source of antioxidants is a natural toner and excellent for exfoliating the skin.
- Daily intake of Watermelon hydrates the dull and dry skin making it look glowing and shiny.
So go for a visibly glowing and younger-looking skin by just having watermelon daily.
And what’s more? It is excellent for your skin, especially if it’s oily and acne-prone skin. The fruit has dietary fiber (0.4%), carbs (7.55%), water (92%), sugar (0.4%), flavonoids, vitamins C, A, B1, and B6, carotenoids, and lycopene. There is zero fat and is cholesterol-free.
The Lycopene helps in scavenging the free oxygen radicals and prevents skin damage. Water helps in flushing out toxins and it also aids bowel movement.
Check out how you can use watermelon to achieve clear skin.
How To Use Watermelon For Glowing Skin
- Mash a watermelon and apply it to your skin. Rinse off after 10 minutes.
- For oily skin, mix three tablespoons of watermelon juice, one tablespoon of lime juice, one tablespoon of Fuller’s earth, and one rose water teaspoon.
- Rinse with cold water after the mask dries.
- For dry skin, mix three tablespoons of watermelon juice, one tablespoon of lime juice, one teaspoon of honey, and one teaspoon of aloe vera. Rinse off after 10 minutes.
Apple is one of the potent fruits for acne. It is a highly fibrous fruit packed with many skin benefits. An apple daily helps to keep skin healthy. Its fibrous substance keeps the bowel clean and reduces the appearance of pimples and fine lines on your skin.
Consuming apple fruit reduces disease related to the intestine, hemorrhoids, and even some kind of cancer. Apples are full of vitamins C, A, and flavonoids and with smaller amounts of phosphorus, iron, and calcium.
Both eating and applying fruits are beneficial for skin health. Our daily diet must include 2 to 3 fruits to get beautiful and glowing skin. When you increase the intake of raw fruits, you will gradually feel a difference in your skin appearance.
You know constipation causes acne, right? This is because the body accommodates excess toxins when it is challenging to have a regular bowel movement.
When there is no proper bowel movement, the toxins that are supposed to be ejected out of the body find their way back into the bloodstream.
And since the body must get rid of the toxins, they come out through the skin, which is the largest organ in the body.
When you get acne breakouts, they leave these unappealing spots and blemishes, which you can get rid of by consuming plums. Plums are highly rich in fiber as one plum contains about 8 grams of fiber.
Pomegranate is one of the superfoods with benefits similar to blueberries and green tea. This fruit is highly nutritious, such that even its peel has nutritional benefits. It is highly rich in antioxidants that help to maintain fresh and glowing youthful skin.
- Wash the peels of pomegranate and let it dry out.
- Make your pomegranate tea using the dry peels as this can be used instead of the regular green teas.
- You can also make and consume pomegranate juice for the same health benefits.
Cucumber has an aroma that brings freshness without even tasting it. Like watermelons, cucumbers are also very high in water content, have a cooling effect on the body, and possess antioxidant properties (10).
Unpeeled cucumbers are also rich in vitamins K and C and dietary fiber. Scientists have found that sea cucumbers can be used for skin whitening and reducing wrinkles (11). Here’s how you can use cucumbers to heal your skin.
How To Use Cucumber For Glowing Skin
- Add cucumber to your salads, sandwiches, wraps, smoothies, etc.
- Prepare a glass of refreshing cucumber pulpy juice and add a dash of lime juice, roasted cumin powder, and pink Himalayan salt for taste and flavor.
- Eat a cucumber as a snack in the evening.
- Grate a cucumber and mix it with one tablespoon of gram flour and 1 teaspoon of rose water to reduce inflammation in acne-prone skin.
- Mix the grated cucumber, 1 tablespoon of milk, and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to moisturize dry skin.
- Mix the grated cucumber, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and sugar to scrub your hands and feet.
Speaking of citrus fruits, lemons are a great addition to your beauty regimen, as they are known to be “Nature’s Bleach.” Lemon safely whitens, lightens skin and promotes an even tone by reducing acne marks and blemishes.
They also deep cleanse the skin by breaking down any grime clogging the pores.
For good skin, take a glass of warm honey and lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning. This drink has many health benefits, including reducing the darkness of blemishes and cleaning out acne.
Bananas contain high potassium, which aids skin moisturizing and hydrating, making it look fuller, more supple, and youthful. They provide skin-healthy nutrients such as Vitamin A, B, and E.
The nutrients in banana work in maintaining the elasticity of the skin, moisturize, prevent premature aging and wrinkles, soften and rejuvenate, and fade dark spots and blemishes.
Papaya consists of healthy substances such as vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and papain, which are suitable for skincare. It is a commonly available fruit that is not expensive and can be eaten in all seasons.
It contains less amount of sodium that retains water in our body and keeps our skin hydrated. Papaya contains plenty of Carotene in comparison to other fruits, including guava, custard apple, apple, and plantains.
You will get flawless skin, soft and shining with regularly having papaya. One of its components, vitamin A, is not only good for skin but also keeps you away from eye-related diseases and night blindness.
Papaya works as an enzyme for your digestive system that, in order helps in proper digestion and maintains a healthy liver that keeps you away from acne and pimples.
Regular eating Papaya gives proper digestion, and good digestion means healthy skin.
Consuming papaya also reduces the signs of aging. Its application gives a blemish-free skin and is also a treatment for skin allergies like ringworm patches.
Its antioxidant properties impart youthful look to the tired and dull skin.
Kiwi contains more Vitamin C than oranges as a 100gram of kiwi contains 98mg of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C helps to guide against cold as it brings about an improved and resistant immune system. Also, it helps to protect the skin from toxins that cause DNA damage, and it boosts collagen synthesis, thereby preventing wrinkles.
- Blend kiwi, grapefruit, and spinach to make a yummy and nourishing morning smoothie.
- Have a kiwi slices as an evening snack.
- Add chopped kiwi to your salad.
- You can blend a kiwi and add a teaspoon of honey for a yummy drink.
- You can mash a kiwi, apply on your skin, and wash off after 10 minutes.
- Mash a kiwi and add half a teaspoon of turmeric to it. Apply it on your skin and watch your skin get moisturized and lightened.
Apart from the high Vitamin C content, strawberries contain an essential alpha hydroxyl acid, called salicylic acid. You may know that salicylic acid as an acne treatment. It is known to penetrate deep into the pores and clean them out.
It can unclog oily pores and stop pimples from forming. This will help clear out milia, whiteheads, and blackheads before they become stubborn pimples.
Strawberries also contain a powerful antioxidant called ellagic acid, proven to prevent the destruction of collagen that leads to wrinkle formation. Ellagic acid has a photoprotective effect that guards against UV damage.
The more antioxidants in your body, the more your skin will glow. Beetroot ensures just that. It’s a great source of anthocyanins, which a powerful antioxidant that prevents wrinkle appearance. Your skin will look glowing if you regularly eat beetroot.
How to use it:
- Boil 1 beetroot, then cut it into slices and then consume it.
- Beetroot can be difficult to digest if eaten raw.
- You can add a bit of lemon juice on it to reap in its full benefits and add a zingy taste to it.
- Rubbing beetroot on your lips will leave a pink tinge on it.
13. Pumpkin Seeds
Consuming pumpkin seeds is one of the effective ways to brighten the skin naturally. This is because pumpkin seeds contain zinc, which helps in the creation of new skin cells. Also, they help to reduce the level at which the skin produces oil as well as the skin tone.
- Have a handful of pumpkin seeds as an evening snack.
- You can add these seeds to your sandwiches for added crunchiness or garnish curries with them.
Plums and prunes are the same fruit just that prunes are dried plums. These prunes are rich in fiber, calcium, vitamins A, and K, niacin, magnesium, and potassium.
Because prunes have a high concentration of fiber, it helps to improve bowel movement, thereby preventing constipation, which causes acne.
- Add prune juice to your morning smoothie.
- You can also rub prune juice onto your body and then wash off after 10 minutes.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice, a teaspoon of rose water and one tablespoon of prune juice. Apply onto your skin and wash off after 10 minutes.
Applying peach face mask onto the face helps to bring some natural glow to the face. Peaches have a high concentration of vitamins A, C, E, and K as well as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
It is worthy of note that they are rich in dietary fiber, so they help to improve bowel movement. Also, they contain antioxidants that help to prevent the skin from photodamage and DNA damage.
- Add slices of peach into your breakfast bowl or make a peach smoothie.
- You can make peach juice and also add it to your dessert.
- Rub thinly sliced peach onto your skin. Remove after 10 minutes and rinse off with water or wet cloth.
Grapes are one of the fruits for acne that works effectively. They are in two colors- green or red, and whichever you choose, they contain antioxidants and resveratrol. And this resveratrol protects the skin from skin cancer and damages caused by the Ultraviolet rays.
Grapes are highly loaded with folate, vitamins C and K, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. Every part of it is nutritious as the seed extract has healing, protecting, and skin-renewing properties.
- Eat a small bowl of grapes and add a few grapes to your smoothie every morning.
- Add them to your breakfast bowl and fruit salad.
- You can also mash them up and apply the paste to your skin. Rinse off after 10 minutes.
Sweet and tangy pineapples are rich in protein, dietary fiber, vitamins A, C, K, and folate, and minerals like calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Pineapple has an enzyme called bromelain, which has anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and wound healing properties.
Applying pineapple on the burnt part of human skin helps in the removal of dead skin cells and speed up the process of healing. Also, it contains moisturizing properties that help to keep the skin hydrated, and this will help bring about flawless and clearer-looking skin.
- You can either use pineapple juice or its pulp topically. It will assist in gentle dead skin exfoliation.
Another fruit on the list of fruits for acne is Apricot. Apricots are sweet and juicy fruits that have a high concentration of vitamins A, C, K, and folate. They help to guard against the body from free oxygen radicals, and they help to improve bowel movement.
This is because apricots contain dietary fiber. Also, they help to prevent the death of endothelial cells.
- Chop them up and add to your juice, smoothies or breakfast bowl.
- You can also add them to your jelly, salad, pie, jams, and tarts.
- Have up to 3 apricots for snacks in the evening.
- Also, slice an apricot thinly and rub the slices onto the affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before you remove it.
Avocado is a highly nutritious fruit, hyped in the health world as a superfood, and often used to make vegan mayonnaise. Not only do they taste great, but they also offer amazing benefits for the skin when you eat, as well as when applied topically.
Avocados contain biotin, also known as vitamin B7. Biotin promotes cell regeneration and growth, resulting in faster-growing nails and hair. Avocados also contain Vitamin E, known as “the Protector of Skin.”
The fatty acids in this naturally fatty fruit help to provide the skin with essential lubrication, which promotes youthful, glowing skin.
One of the popular fruits for acne is Cherry. They are red and deliciously sweet fruits that have numerous benefits. They help to repair damaged skin, and also, they protect the skin from future damage.
Also, they are rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help to protect the skin from any form of damage.
It is worthy to note that these fruits are high in vitamins A, C, K, and dietary fiber. Also, they are rich in minerals like potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
To Use Cherries For Acne Free and Glowing Skin,
- Have a small bowl of cherries either in the morning 9r at night.
- You can have them chopped and added to your salad, bowl of custard or yogurt.
- Also, you can mash a bunch up and apply it to your skin. Let it stay for ten minutes before rinsing off.