The Dukan diet is one of the fast and effective weight loss diets that exist. If you want to know more about the diet and yummy Dukan diet recipes you can make and eat without gaining weight, read through.
This diet is popularly and commonly referred to as the princess diet which was brought about by Dr. Pierre Dukan. This diet was first published in Dr. Pierre’s first book in France, in 2000.
However, the diet gained more relevance because some people testified to using it to lose and maintain their weight.
How does this diet work? The Dukan diet basically contains high-protein and low-carb. This is because the pioneer of this diet says: “protein is a filling food and it optimizes fast and effective weight loss without having to say no”.
Also, the diet uses natural methods based on 100 foods (72 protein and 28 vegetable sources) from which dieters can eat from unlimitedly.
Phases Of The Dukan Diet
The Dukan diet consists of four phases, each with different food combinations and amounts of the approved foods. The phases are:
1. The Attack Phase
The attack phase is the phase where you are only allowed to consume animal proteins for up to 10 days. In this phase, vegetables and fats are prohibited.
The animal proteins you can consume include fish (and all kinds of seafood), poultry, low-fat beef, lean ham, and organ meats. Also, you can have non-fat dairy products- cheese excluded.
One thing that is common to all the phases is the fact that you are required to drink a minimum of 6 cups of water.
In addition to that, you can have one and a half tablespoons of oat bran which would help curb cravings. To further increase the effectiveness, you are also required to walk for at least 20 minutes daily.
As mentioned earlier, this phase lasts from one to ten days- you can choose whichever day to stop based on your weight loss goals.
2. The Cruise Phase
This is the second phase and it should contain a strict high-protein diet with the inclusion of vegetables consecutively.
You are only allowed to eat spinach, eggplant, Brussel sprouts, and salad vegetables. Any other vegetables such as the starchy ones- maize, peas, lentils are not allowed.
Once you are on the cruise phase, you are required to drink 6 glasses of water every day and walk for 30 minutes. It is important to note that this stage does not have a duration.
As it can last for as long as when the dieter thinks he or she has reached the desired weight. This is because it is at this stage that major weight loss happens on the Dukan diet.
3. The Consolidation Phase
The third stage is when some fruits and carbohydrates are added to the diet. At this stage, there are a lot of meals you can choose from and you can have a piece of fruit every day.
These fruits, however, do not include bananas, cherries, grapes and all other dried and preserved fruits.
Every week, you are allowed to have two servings of starchy foods- pasta and potatoes. Also, you are allowed to have two pieces of whole-grain bread and one and a half cheese each day.
Every week, you are allowed to have two cheat meals- you can have anything you feel like eating. The only downside to this rule is that one of those meals should be protein only!.
As with every other phase, you are required to drink a minimum of 6 glasses of water daily and walk for 25 minutes.
The importance of this stage is to help slow down the process by which the body gains weight. The length of this stage solely depends on how much weight you have lost in the first two phases.
4. The Stabilization Phase
The final phase of the Dukan diet is the stabilization stage. The stabilization stage allows you to eat whatever you want for six days, just that the seventh day has to be a protein-only day.
At this stage, the consumption of oat bran is increased to 3 tablespoons a day and the walk has to be for 20 minutes. Although the water intake is fixed!
This phase does not have a duration as it is designed to help maintain the lost weight. It is a long-term period of weight maintenance that can go on for as long as you desire. This means that you need to keep eating Dukan diet recipes to maintain weight loss.
8 Dukan Diet Recipes That You Can Eat Without Gaining Weight
Here are some Dukan diet recipes for you to try. These delicious recipes will leave your taste buds singing!
1. Tandoori chicken escalopes
- 2 green chilies- crushed
- 6 chicken breast fillets
- 3 garlic cloves- crushed
- 2 small pots of non-fat yogurt
- Half a ginger- crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of tandoori masala spice mix
- Mix all the ingredients together except the meat making sure all the spices are crushed properly.
- Score the chicken so that the mix gets into the meat ad keep in the refrigerator overnight to marinate.
- Remove from the fridge and cook in the oven on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Grill to add some brown to it before serving.
2. Beef kebabs
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 400g of beef fillets- cut them into large chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 ml of vegetable oil
- A bit of thyme
- 50 ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 skewers
- Combine all the ingredients together and put the beef inside to marinate. This should take about 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- When done, remove the meat chunks from the marinade and discard.
- Arrange the beef chunks on the skewers and grill until your preference is achieved.
Note: You can add onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms if you are on the cruise phase.
3. Three-pepper tuna
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 garlic cloves- crushed
- 1 green pepper
- 700g of tuna steak
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- juice from 2 lemons
- Wash and de-seed the peppers. Proceed to cut them in halves and grilling them for 5 minutes.
- Place them in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes to make it easier to peel.
- Cut them into strips and fry them slightly in a lightly-greased non-stick pan for some minutes over medium heat.
- Season the tuna steaks and steam them for 20 minutes.
- When the tuna steaks are perfectly cooked, make a mix by combining the lemon juice, pepper, and garlic together.
- Marinate the tuna steaks in the mix for about 3 hours.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
4. Stuffed mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves- chopped
- 30 grams of fresh parsley- chopped
- 20 large mushrooms- washed
- Salt and black pepper- to taste
- A dash of vegetable oil
- Few teaspoons of skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit while you wash and chop the stalks of the mushrooms.
- Add garlic, salt, black pepper, parsley, and skimmed milk. Cook the stuffing mixture in a non-stick pan.
- On the other hand, bake the mushroom caps with the stem side facing down for about 10 minutes.
- Fill the hollow mushroom caps with the cooked stuffing and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat when cooked and drizzle two drops of vegetable oil over each stuffed mushroom.
5. Moroccan Style Chicken, Dukan Recipe
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 brown onion- diced
- 2 slices of lean bacon- diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of extra light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- One chicken breast- diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- Brown the chicken in a lightly oiled pot over high heat.
- Then, reduce the heat, add the bacon and onion and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all herbs, chicken stock, and cream cheese, mixing well. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Serve with cracked pepper and fresh herbs.
6. Steak with Pepper Sauce Dukan Recipe
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 button mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
- 125 g of Philadelphia extra light cream cheese
- Heat a non-stick frypan over moderate to high heat. Fry the steaks for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm by wrapping in foil.
- Cook the mushrooms by boiling in a small amount of water until soft.
- Add the pepper and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock and simmer until it has reduced.
- Whisk in the cheese, sweetener, and simmer until thickened. Pour the sauce over your steak, and serve immediately.
7. Lemon Ricotta Galette Dukan Diet Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 4 tablespoons oat bran
- 2 tablespoons fat-free ricotta
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon zero-calorie sweetener, such as Stevia
- Beat the egg white in a small bowl until foamy.
- Combine the oat bran, Greek yogurt, ricotta, lemon zest, and sweetener in another bowl and combine well.
- Add the beaten egg white to this mixture and combine well.
- Heat a small heavy nonstick pan over moderate heat.
- Pour the pancake mixture into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until the underside is golden brown and the upper side starts to bubble.
- Turn the galette over very carefully with a spatula and cook the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate and allow to cool briefly before serving with yogurt and herbs.
8. Herb Omelette- Dukan Style
- Mixed Italian herbs
- 4 eggs- use 3 egg whites and keep one yolk
- 2 tablespoons of skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well mixed and frothy.
- Pour into a lightly oiled hot pan and reduce heat, flip once when the omelet is firm.
It is, however, important to note that when you are setting a goal weight for yourself, it should not be too extreme. Simply put, for this diet to work just fine, make sure your weight loss goals are not too extreme.
This will help you continue this diet without over-working yourself and in the end, you will achieve your goal weight.
Also, while eating these Dukan diet recipes, do not forget the good-old exercise!. Although your exercises might not be for extended hours at the gym, a little effort of exercising every day will eventually help your weight loss process.